Geotechnical Engineer Thursday, 27 April, 2017
Up to £37,000 plus benefits
Hamson Barron Smith Limited (HBS) is a 130 strong integrated design and building consultancy founded on the principles of quality, innovation, respect and trust. We operate from a national network of offices; these include London, Exeter, Leeds, Haywards Heath, Norwich and Brighton. Our core services encompass engineering, architecture, surveying, building services engineering and project management.
Our Engineering team continues to grow and an exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Geotechnical Engineer to join the team in either our vibrant Exeter or Leeds office.
Working as part of our engineering design team that includes structural, civil, geotechnical and geo-environmental engineers, the role will offer the successful candidate the opportunity to assist in the delivery of some exciting development schemes around the UK.
This is a client-facing role, which will allow you to take projects from inception to completion. Exposed directly to clients you will, supported by a senior team, see the design process though to construction.
As part of the role you will:
- Provide robust technical geotechnical support and advice on developments in residential, retail, educational and commercial sector.
- Manage desk based and intrusive site investigations, acquiring high quality geotechnical data and completing the technical interpretation of returned results.
- Produce clear interpretative geotechnical investigation and design reports as well engineering specifications.
- Manage your own clients and projects, ensuring that programmes and projects are delivered to set quality, time, and budgetary targets.
We believe that this is a fantastic opportunity to join a friendly professional team that provides respected, practical and technically robust engineering design advice. It offers the successful candidate the opportunity to be exposed to the range of engineering disciplines that enable land development. You will become a valued part of the team and will see the design process though, supported by a senior team.
When you join HBS you will.
- Become part of a dynamic team who work in stimulating and open environment and as a result deliver high quality innovate solutions.
- Be supported to allow you to achieve your career aspirations.
- Encouraged to contribute to direction and growth the business.
We offer a competitive salary and a rewards package that includes 26 days annual leave with option to purchase up to five extra days per year, a generous pension scheme, private healthcare, life insurance, cycle to work scheme and range of other bespoke rewards.
We are seeking individuals who will aim for continuous improvement and deliver high quality products and services, which embrace our quality standards and who are willing to demonstrate a personal commitment to the Norse Way CSR strategy.
You will have.
- Thorough understanding of all typical UK site investigation techniques and in situ geotechnical testing.
- Good knowledge of British Standards for ground investigation and geotechnical design.
- Ability to log soils to Eurocode 7.
- Demonstrable experience of designing, specifying, costing, supervising and managing intrusive site investigations including scheduling of geotechnical and geochemical testing.
- Proven ability to write high quality detail driven UK standard compliant factual and interpretative reports.
- Excellent written English standard and strong verbal communication skills.
- Ability to review ground investigation and geotechnical data and to provide high quality written and verbal interpretation of results. To include for example, defining foundation solutions, producing foundation zone plans and providing geotechnical design parameters.
- Experience of producing earthworks specifications, surcharge and settlement monitoring and associated validation reports, completing slope stability analysis and remedial designs.
- Capability to design shallow and piled foundations.
- An understanding of retaining wall design, settlement analysis, ground improvement techniques and construction methods.
- Good knowledge of UK procedures, processes and guidance associated with land contamination assessment and management.
- Proficiency in using common IT applications (Microsoft Excel, Word and Project), plus common industry software such as GINT, SLOPE, SLIDE etc.
- Drive to achieve your billability target (90%) and to contribute to the achievement of business plan objectives and targets.
Your Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications
- Strong Degree in a relevant subject such as Geotechnical Engineering, Geology, Geoscience or Civil Engineering which is accredited by relevant professional body for Chartered status – Essential
- Experience in a similar or related role – Essential
- Membership of a relevant professional body – Essential
- Demonstrable commitment on ongoing CDP- Essential
- Current UK Driving licence – Essential
- Excellent written English – Essential
- Relevant post graduate qualification – Desirable
- Chartered through relevant professional body – Desirable
- Familiar with relevant construction, health and safety legislation and risks and hazards associated with asbestos – Desirable
- Valid CSCS Card – Desirable
To apply, please email your application to email@example.com